Sunday, April 19, 2009

Developing Plug-ins

Plug-Ins. I recently had to develop my first plugin and to say the least it was an experience. After ploughing through numerous blogs and documentation I finally got it working. Here are some tips if you are starting out to develop plug-ins.
  1. Ensure you have the latest copies of the SDK dlls. If not you could run into earlier sdk bugs.
  2. Ensure tht you have the latest update rolloups. My plug-in was throwing http 401 errors until I installed the latest rollups.

  3. Use dynamic entities instead of the web service references. It is a little harder to understand and get working but will payoff in the long run.

  4. Learn to debug plug-ins and how to find the detailed error messages. You will need it.

  5. Understand the entity-message mapping.

  6. Download the Microsoft CRM Developer toolkit.

  7. Download the latest Plug-in registration tool.

I hope the above helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment